Weather is still a bit cool in the evening. Family needs feeding. Everyone wants something creamy, but we don’t do dairy… Enter VEGAN CREAMY BAKE.
More and more the call is coming for us to be completely plant based. If you have Netflix, and have watched Forks over knives, cowspiracy, and What the Health, you’ll know where I am coming from. I don’t have anything against people who want to eat a standard omnivorous diet, but I do want to share the knowledge I have to help improve the health of people I share this world with 🙂 Plant based eating is a growing trend for good reasons!
I’m not going to go all anti-meat and dairy here, because I’d rather focus on the health promotion parts of eating more veggies.
A few include:
- Adding more fibre and antioxidants to your diet. This in turn, changes the diversity of good bacteria in your gut, which is one of the best ways to promote good health (you learnt this in the gut health post).
- You’ll naturally eat less calories, ‘bad fats’ and refined sugars than traditional western diets. This can help keep your weight within a healthy range, and can prevent a multitude of chronic diseases such as arthritis, heart disease and cancer.
- You’ll reset your tastebuds to love the taste of healthy foods! This sis a big one. I literally cannot handle refined sugar in my mouth anymore. It’s too sweet! Fruit is as sweet as I get, and I enjoy it so much. It does take time to reset those taste buds, but believe me, your health, and your family’s health will improve for it!
Without further ado, here’s this week’s recipe!
CREAMY VEGAN BAKE serves 8
1 head cauliflower
4 garlic cloves
2 big tablespoons savoury yeast flakes
1/2 tsp celtic sea salt
1/4 cup coconut milk
2 cups veggie broth
1 large carrot
1/2 red capsicum
1 brown onion
1 medium head broccoli
200 g Pumpkin
1 large potato
1 medium sweet potato
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees
- Chop veggies into bite sized pieces
- Add all veggies to baking pan, drizzle in liquified coconut oil, season with salt and pepper and bake in oven for 40 minutes
- SAUCE: Add cauliflower, salt, broth and garlic to thermomix and cook 15 mins 100 degrees sp 1. Or conventional: Add same ingredients to saucepan and cook for 15 minutes (til tender).
- Once tender, add the remaining sauce ingredients and blitz til smooth (thermomix 15 sec sp 8)
- Pour sauce over the top of baking veggies, stir through and bake for a further 5-10 minutes.
Serve in a bowl for all to enjoy!